A good night’s sleep can go a long way. It’s the body’s way of recharging its batteries after a long day at work. That is why I always thought that a comfortable bed is the best investment you could make for yourself. Not everyone can afford to have a luxurious house, but a fluffy bed is a must in every home. Sleeping in an uncomfortable bed can cause you to wake up even more tired than when you went to bed.
I tried a lot of things to make my sleep as comfortable as possible, but what I learned is that every detail matters. You need a high-quality mattress, pillows that don’t cause neck pains, and last but not least, a duvet insert that will help you sleep like a baby.
People tend to underestimate the power of a duvet insert. They think that it doesn’t matter what you use as a cover as long as it can keep you warm. But ask people who live in cold climates if that is true. They will disagree. I disagree. During the night it gets freezing, and you can’t leave the heat on 24/7 because the bill could be enormous. That is why it’s worth investing in bedding that can make you as warm and as comfortable as possible.
There are a lot of factors that can make a difference between a regular cover and a duvet insert. It’s the weight, the GSM (grams per square meter), the material of the shell, and much more. A duvet insert doesn’t necessarily have to be thicker than a regular cover in order to provide more warmth and comfort. It’s all about the filling.
Types of duvet filling
There are multiple types of filling used for duvets. It’s up to you to decide which one is most comfortable. The most popular choice is a duvet insert with natural filling. It can either be down, feathers, or even wool. However, they can be quite expensive, and not all people can stand them. I say that because individuals who have allergies cannot bear the natural filling of a duvet. Of course, some manufacturers manage to treat all the allergens, but that will reflect on the price. So, if you are allergic, all you have to do is look for the best down alternative duvet insert. That means you must go for synthetic fill materials. They are less expensive than the natural filling, and they are all hypoallergenic.
If you are wondering why is the filling so important, well…it determines the feel you have when you are underneath the duvet. It controls the fluffiness and weight. You may be warm, but do you really want to sleep under something that is too heavy? The point is that the quality of the duvet and its filling will determine your level of comfort.
Another aspect that should not be overlooked is the fill-power. Duvets that have a higher fillpower down are more fluffy and lighter. While a regular duvet has up to 600 fill power down, deluxe duvets can feature up to 900 fill power down.
What to look for in the best duvet insert?
Although searching for the perfect duvet insert may seem easy, it’s really not. I know what you are thinking, it’s no big deal. It’s just a cover, right? Not really. You need to find the perfect balance between comfort and price. If you can afford a duvet insert that costs somewhere between 100$ and 200$, then your choice is easy, but when you are looking to cut costs, the task may prove to be a little more difficult. Here is what you need to pay attentionin order to find the best price-quality ratio.
- The filling – I know we already covered the filling section, but the filling is one of the things you need to pay attention to first. The filling will determine the price of the duvet insert. Natural filling is more expensive than synthetic filling, but it’s not necessarily better. Just because you have a down duvet that doesn’t mean you will be warmer. There are down alternatives that can provide more warmth. However, down duvets have a reputation for being more fluffy than the synthetic counterpart.
- Allergens – if you are allergic, chances are that you will not find a hypoallergenic down duvet. Not in your price range, at least. They can be a bit pricey. And why would you spend all that money when the alternative is so much better and cheaper? Synthetic duvet inserts are hypoallergenic, so you will have no issue whatsoever. They are better for your health, but for your pockets as well.
- Shell material – the best material you can go for is cotton. Don’t forget about the thread count, though. The higher the thread count, the more the shell will keep its integrity. Even if you use a cover, the shell can still suffer damage. Ask people who have cats or dogs that are allowed on the furniture. I have a dog, and she likes playing on the covers. She even digs for her toys. I tried multiple cover materials until I found that a big thread count can make a huge difference. It can stand almost anything.
- Shell cover – you can’t use a duvet insert without a shell cover. It will protect the duvet against stains, grime, dust, and other ‘contaminants.’ It is a lot easier to clean the cover than cleaning the whole duvet, isn’t it? But I guess you already use sheets, so I don’t have to tell you that.
- Ease of cleaning – down comforters are harder to clean than the synthetic ones. That is because they require dry-cleaning. It’s not difficult per se, but it requires more effort. You need to take it to the dry cleaner’s, and you need to pay for it. However, synthetic duvet inserts are machine washable. When it gets dirty just throw it in the washing machine and be done with it. Most models must be air-dried, though. I find the synthetic version more convenient than the natural one, as far as cleaning is concerned. Think about it if you have children. They spill things all the time, even if you forbid them to have food in bed. Also, I know that you like to have snacks in bed. Accidents can happen.
What are the best duvet inserts?
The good news is that you have where to choose from. There are many manufacturers that present hundreds of models in every price range. But that is why the task can be confusing at times. If you had just a few options, then you would make a decision quickly. But that is not the case, which is why I though that it’s better if you had someone tell you which one is best. Here are a few suggestions that may be of help.
Snowman Duvet Insert Goose Down Comforter
This product is for those who can afford to spend over 100$ on a duvet insert. The filling is natural. Goose down is one of the best fillings you can ask for. It’s light, it’s fluffy, and the level of comfort is as high as possible. What’s even better is that this product, although it has a natural filling, is hypoallergenic. The three-layered fabric design will prevent the prick feel of feathers, it’s edged with double silky piping for a clean finish, and there is baffle between the squares to prevent the filling from moving towards the edges.
This down duvet insert is covered with 100% cotton and has a 45 oz fill weight. As far as measurement goes, you can find this in a twin version, king, and queen. The price differs for each size. The level of comfort is like nothing you’ve ever experienced before, and customers claim that it’s like sleeping in the clouds.
Cleaning the Snowman Duvet is easy. However, you cannot do it yourself. This product is not machine washable. You are required to take it to the dry cleaner’s. As long as you use duvet covers, cleaning is necessary two or three times per year.
I know that I told you synthetic duvet inserts are better, but that is just my opinion. A lot of people share my opinion, but I thought that there are others out there who want a natural filling duvet insert. So if you can afford this model, I strongly recommend itbecause it’s the best down duvet insert I found. Goose down is one of the most comfortablefillings on the market, so it’s worth a shot. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
Utopia Bedding Duvet Insert
This comforter can also be found in three sizes, twin, king, and queen. Of course, the price differs for each version, but I believe it’s one of the best duvet inserts that has a synthetic filling. The design is simple and elegant. The 350 GSM filling comes with piped edges and box stitching that will prevent the fill from shifting. The stitches are quite sturdy so they will not give in, even after years of use.
The materials used for the Utopia Bedding duvet insert are very soft and cozy. The siliconized fiber filling will provide superior comfort. It’s cozy, lightweight, and is able to provide maximum warmth during those cold winter nights. The product is hypoallergenic and has a barrier that protects against dust mites and mildew. However, it is recommended that you air the duvet on a regular basis.
Cleaning comes very easy with this duvet insert. You can wash it in the washing machine. Just make sure that you use a gentle cycle with cold water. Although you can tumble dry it if it’s necessary, it would be best to air dry it. It will not suffer damage if you use a dryer once or twice, but if you do it regularly, the duvet can get ruined. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
KingLinen White Down Alternative Comforter
The KingLinen duvet insert is also a product that caught my eye. It’s entirely affordable, but the quality is superior to most duvet inserts in this price range. However, keep in mind that this product provides medium warmth. It may not be suitable for people who spend a Minnesota winter, but for a moderate climate, it’s just perfect.
The material is very soft, and I think it’s an ideal down alternative. The poly fiber filling provides maximum comfort, and the box stitching will prevent it from shifting towards the edges. I should also mention that the stitching is perfectly done so that it will not give in.
You can find this product in three available sizes (twin, queen, and king.) All the materials used for its manufacture are 100% hypoallergenic and will protect against dust mites and mildew. As far as cleaning in concerned, the duvet insert from KingLinen comes with clear instructions. You can throw the duvet insert in the washing machine, but you have to use a gentle cycle and cold water. Although tumble dry is allowed on low, I recommend that you leave it to air dry. It’s better for the materials. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
I must admit that I was inclined to make the Snowman Duvet Insert Goose Down Comforter my number one recommendation, but then I though that not everyone can afford it. That is why I chose to go with a cheaper alternative that can provide about the same level of comfort. That is why my recommendation is Utopia Bedding Duvet Insert. It provides the ideal level of warmth allyear round, it’s affordable, the materialsare high-quality, and the comfort is more than other products can bring to the table. In my opinion, this is one of the best duvet inserts on the market.
I like to believe that all people agree with me when I say that bedding is more important than it’s given credit for. As long as you can enjoy a good night’s sleep, your days will be better. You will be productive, happy, and most important of all, you will be healthy. Rest is a very important part of your overall health. So try one of the products I described above. You’ll see that I know what I’m talking about. Click here to buy on Amazon
- The Modern Duvet Covers Diaries
- Blue Duvet Cover Fundamentals Explained
- Grey Duvet Cover Tips
- The Unexplained Puzzle Into Linen Duvet Cover Discovered
- The Pain of Duvet Covers
- Using Black and White Duvet Covers
- Who Else Is Lying to Us About Best Duvet?
- The Number One Question You Must Ask for Duvet Covers Queen
- Understanding King Size Duvet Covers
- Top Advice on Duvet Covers King
- The Good, the Bad and White Duvet Cover
- The Dirty Facts on King Size Duvet
- Be the First to Know What Gurus are Saying About Duvet Cover Sets
- Duvet Sets Help!
- The Do’s and Don’ts of Quilt Covers
- Secret Facts About Bed Covers Uncovered by an Old Pro
- Outrageous Duvet Tips
- New Article Reveals the Low Down on King Size Duvet Sets and Why You Must Take Action Today
- Why Absolutely Everybody Is Talking About Red Duvet Cover
- What Everybody Else Does When It Comes to King Duvet and What You Need to Do Different
- The Idiot’s Guide to White Duvet Revealed
- 100 Cotton Duvet Covers – an in Depth Anaylsis on What Works and What Doesn’t
- Find Out Who’s Discussing Black Duvet Cover and Why You Should Be Concerned
- Cotton Duvet Covers Options
- What You Should Know About Duvets Covers and Why
- The Start of Best Duvet Covers
- The Lost Secret of Queen Duvet Covers
- Life, Death and Purple Duvet Cover
- Duvet Insert – Is it a Scam?
- The Pitfall of Luxury Duvet Covers
- Twin Duvet Covers – a Brief Overview
- Goose down Duvet Tips
- Definitions of Comforter Cover
- The Nuiances of Cheap Duvet Covers
- The Biggest Myth About King Duvet Covers Exposed